Certificate and Diploma Programs
Follow these links to find information on Certificate and Diploma Programs offered through the University of Guelph and Guelph Turfgrass Institute.
4-week certificate in turfgrass management program
The TMSC is Canada's most successful certificate in turfgrass management. This 4 week program has over 50 years of educating and preparing a broad range of students of all age groups, experience levels and industry sectors. This certification is recognized by most major turf professional associations and has become world renowned for its quick but thorough educational curriculum. If you are interested in the program, we suggest you inquire about registration ASAP as it tends to fill up quickly each year.
Questions about the TMSC?
Contact Open Learning and Educational Support
Two year residential diploma program
Turfgrass management is a dynamic and growing sector across Canada and throughout the world. The Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management (ADTM) is Canada's premier turfgrass management program and features a focused curriculum that will provide students with the skills to succeed in this competitive industry.
This two-year (four semester) program utilizes the collaborative resources of the Guelph Turfgrass Institute, which includes University of Guelph faculty and staff, industry professionals and the grounds, workshop and laboratory facilities of the Institute. Practical and scientific study is combined with a required summer work semester to provide students with a wide range of experience and knowledge. The Diploma in Turfgrass Management is offered only at the Guelph campus and prepares students for a variety of career opportunities including golf course management, lawn care, sports field management, parks management, sod production and related supply and service businesses.
Students are required to complete a minimum 15-week industry internship between the end of the second semester (April) and the start of the third semester (September). Historically, students have found exciting internship positions at golf courses and other turfgrass based enterprises across Canada as well as in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, Germany and the Caribbean. Graduates of the program are in high demand within the turfgrass industry across Canada and internationally.
Program of Study
Semester 1 - Fall
- DTM*1000 [0.50] The Turf Industry
- DTM*1010 [0.50] Identification and Care of Landscape Plants and Trees
- DTM*1100 [0.50] Plant Biology
- DTM*1200 [0.50] Turf Equipment
- DTM*1300 [0.50] Turf Soil Principles
- DTM*1500 [0.50] Turf Communication Skills
Semester 2 - Winter
- DTM*2000 [0.50] Turf Management 1
- DTM*2010 [0.50] Identification and Care of Landscape Plants and Trees
- DTM*2100 [0.50] Turf Irrigation and Drainage
- DTM*2200 [0.50] Computers and Math for Turf
- DTM*2400 [0.50] Landscape Design
- DTM*2600 [0.50] Turf Environmental Management
Between the second and third semesters, all students are required to complete a minimum 15 week industry internship. In collaboration with their employer, students establish specific internship learning objectives and maintain a daily journal recording their on-the-job experiences and observations. The internship experience is a key component of the third semester course Current Turf Practices, but is drawn upon extensively throughout the final year of the program.
Semester 3 - Fall
- DTM*3000 [0.50] Turf Management II
- DTM*3100 [0.50] Current Turf Practices
- DTM*3200 [0.50] Turf Diseases
- DTM*3300 [0.50] Turf Insects and Weeds
- DTM*3400 [0.50] Landscape Construction
- DTM*3800 [0.50] Special Study Project I
Semester 4 - Winter
- DTM*4000 [0.50] Turf Management III
- DTM*4200 [0.50] Design and Construction of Golf Courses and Sports Fields
- DTM*4300 [0.50] Turf Case Studies
- DTM*4400 [0.50] Human Resources Management
- DTM*4500 [0.50] Business and Finance for Turf
- DTM*4600 [0.50] Computer Assisted Design
- DTM*4800 [0.50] Special Study Project II
For complete diploma program information and regulations, see the Diploma Program Academic Calendar.
Questions about the DTM Program?
Contact Cameron Shaw
Manager, Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management Program
- Phone: 519-824-4120 x 56886
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible to apply to this program, you will require an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with senior mathematics, English, biology and chemistry strongly recommended. For students outside of Ontario, or for more information on the admission requirements, please contact Admission Services.
Tuition and Fees
For a detailed breakdown of current program tuition and fees, visit the Student Financial Services website. Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management fees are found in the OAC college listings. Please note that fees are listed by semester and the program consists of four semesters over two years.
How to Apply
The application process is a two-stage process:
- Follow the instructions on the Ontario Universities Application Centre website to select the Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management at the University of Guelph.
- Submit the Background Information Form and a copy of your resume showing your previous work experience to the DTM Program Counsellor. This form gives you an opportunity to let us know your interest, experience and reason for wishing to enrol in the program.
Questions about DTM Applications?
Contact Carie Devitt
DTM Program Counsellor
Bachelor of Science Degree Programs
The B.Sc. degree program, previously called the Crops, Horticulture and Turfgrass Science (CHATS), is a 4 year honours science program designed to provide a fundamental education in the science of agriculture and plant production. The curriculum includes courses in agricultural, physical, biological, and social sciences.
Certificates in Horticulture, Landscape and Turf
OpenEd offers several online certificate programs including the Horticulture Certificate, Horticulture Diploma, Landscape Design Certificate, and Landscape Design Diploma. These programs feature the ability for you to customize your learning and specialize within a field. You can expect an engaging, practical online learning experience that will meet your professional and personal goals and interests.
For more information about available courses, see Horticulture Studies.