Follow these links to find information on Certificate and Diploma Programs offered through the University of Guelph and Guelph Turfgrass Institute.
(4-week certificate in turfgrass management program)
The TMSC is Canada's most successful certificate in turfgrass management. This 4 week program has over 50 years of educating and preparing a broad range of students of all age groups, experience levels and industry sectors. This certification is recognized by most major turf professional associations and has become world renowned for its quick but thorough educatinal curriculum. IIf you are interested in the program, we suggest you inquire about registration ASAP as it tends to fill up quickly each year.
Course Specific Questions?
Contact Open Learning and Educational Support
(Two year residential diploma program)
Turfgrass management is a dynamic and growing sector across Canada and throughout the world. The Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management (ADTM) is Canada's premier turfgrass management program and features a focused curriculum that will provide students with the skills to succeed in this competitive industry.
This two-year (four semester) program utilizes the collaborative resources of the Guelph Turfgrass Institute, which includes University of Guelph faculty and staff, industry professionals and the grounds, workshop and laboratory facilities of the Institute. Practical and scientific study is combined with a required summer work semester to provide students with a wide range of experience and knowledge. The Diploma in Turfgrass Management is offered only at the Guelph campus and prepares students for a variety of career opportunities including golf course management, lawn care, sports field management, parks management, sod production and related supply and service businesses.
Students are required to complete a minimum 15-week industry internship between the end of the second semester (April) and the start of the third semester (September). Historically, students have found exciting internship positions at golf courses and other turfgrass based enterprises across Canada as well as in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, Germany and the Caribbean. Graduates of the program are in high demand within the turfgrass industry across Canada and internationally.
Program of Study
Semester 1 - Fall
- DTM*1000 [0.50] The Turf Industry
- DTM*1100 [0.50] Plant Biology
- DTM*1200 [0.50] Turf Equipment
- DTM*1300 [0.50] Turf Soil Principles
- DTM*1400 [0.50] Landscape Plants
- DTM*1500 [0.50] Turf Communication Skills
Semester 2 - Winter
- DTM*2000 [0.50] Turf Management 1
- DTM*2100 [0.50] Turf Irrigation and Drainage
- DTM*2200 [0.50] Computers and Math for Turf
- DTM*2400 [0.50] Landscape Design
- DTM*2500 [0.50] Arboriculture
- DTM*2600 [0.50] Turf Environmental Management
Between the second and third semesters, all students are required to complete a minimum 15 week industry internship. In collaboration with their employer, students establish specific internship learning objectives and maintain a daily journal recording their on-the-job experiences and observations. The internship experience is a key component of the third semester course Current Turf Practices, but is drawn upon extensively throughout the final year of the program.
Semester 3 - Fall
- DTM*3000 [0.50] Turf Management 2
- DTM*3100 [0.50] Current Turf Practices
- DTM*3200 [0.50] Turf Diseases
- DTM*3300 [0.50] Turf Insects and Weeds
- DTM*3400 [0.50] Landscape Construction
- DTM*3800 [0.50] Special Study Project 1
Semester 4 - Winter
- DTM*4000 [0.50] Turf Management 3
- DTM*4200 [0.50] Golf Course Design and Construction
- DTM*4300 [0.50] Turf Case Studies
- DTM*4400 [0.50] Human Resources Management
- DTM*4500 [0.50] Business and Finance for Turf
- DTM*4600 [0.50] Computer Assisted Design
- DTM*4800 [0.50] Special Study Project 2
For complete diploma program information and regulations, see the Diploma Program Calendar.
Contact Stephen Fleischauer
Director, Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management Program
- Phone: 519-824-4120 x 56886
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible to apply to this program, you will require an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with senior mathematics, English, biology and chemistry strongly recommended. For students outside of Ontario, or for more information on the admission requirements, please contact Admission Services.
Tuition and Fees
For a detailed breakdown of current program tuition and fees, visit the Student Financial Services website. Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management fees are found in the OAC college listings. Please note that fees are listed by semester and the program consists of four semesters over two years.
How to Apply
The application process is a two-stage process:
- Ontario Universities Application Centre. Follow the instructions to select the Associate Diploma in Turfgrass Management at the University of Guelph.
- Supplementary Information Form along with a copy of your resume showing your previous work experience. This form gives you an opportunity to let us know your interest, experience and reason for wishing to enrol in the program.
The B.Sc.(Agr.) degree program, or CHATS, is a 4 year honours science program designed to provide a fundamental education in the science of agriculture. The curriculum includes courses in the agricultural sciences, the physical, biological and social sciences, and in the arts.
For complete degree program information and regulations, see the Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Program.
(Online certificate programs)